Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Problem: Ubuntu is way too much fun.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problem: Ubuntu is way too much fun.

Welcome to Ubuntu Forums... You joined on April 11th 2024... How long have you used Linux? You originally posted this in the New to Ubuntu" Section, which might explain some things, or not.

+1 with 1fallen.

I reviewed your posts. Why? I was wondering if all your posts included such deeply rooted, and biased personally opinions. Habits from previously having been a Moderator here, and looking to whom I'm talking to.

I applaud some of your posts where you were trying to help & support some questions from other Users. We all need help sometimes, even me. This thread? I would caution you to think before you type... You never know who you are talking with , and their experience base.

Me? I take a bit of exception to your first post in this thread where you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by hyperlinxe View Post
    Meanwhile, while all these other people are getting robbed by their evil operating system administrators...
    How do you mean? Maybe you could add some context there. You tend to type in absolutes, using "all", "everyone", "the Community" (as a whole).

I'm one of those Windows, Unix, & Linux Systems Administrators with over 37 years of professional Admin Support experience, who you seemed to have lumped into your absolute of all being "evil". You don't know me, so I'm sure you weren't talking about me specifically, but... You know, you might need some help one day, and people do have memories.

Then your comments about this community. I have to say that I personally am protective of this Community, and the Members here who help support it. We are all volunteers, who spend many hours helping in any ways we can. You say you love Ubuntu as an OS, but that:
    Well you guys are a lot of fun to talk to. I think this forum might be dead! Doesn't Ubuntu have a community or something? Ya know like people that use Ubuntu, and like to talk to other people about Ubuntu? I put this thread in the new ubuntu users section for a reason, obviously, I thought it would be appropriate there!
    There are many sections here for that "talk", and discussions.

I'm happy that you like Ubuntu. It is my daily driver, and I have tried to support this Community as best I can, in many different ways, online & behind the scenes.

Linux, in itself, is somewhat Universal. It is all built around the Linux Kernel. There are many pieces that work around that. Their are pluses and minuses in difference flavors of how things are done below that, that tend towards personal preferences. But I for one, for years have supported a lot of things that are upstream from a specific Distro. We are mostly a Community that help each other out, to make things work. We (mostly) are not Distro basher's, nor in competition with each other.

A few things I might mention for your future success:
    Reread what you type, before you select "Post". Is it diplomatic and portray the point I want to get across? Is it going to help someone, or get me banned for what I say. I have to go back and edit some of my posts that could be misread, or had too much emotions at the time.

Sometimes that takes patience, and biting my tongue. Sometimes I have to generalize, not to point fingers and offend someone.

Sometimes, I have to just say, "this is just me", "IMHO" or "Just the facts Mame"...

I try to make friends here, and care about how I come across to other Users, that I am understood. The world here is too small a place, where you never know who might be at the screen elsewhere reading your posts. Some here have become my most prized friends, that I have had for years now.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

Alright guys thanks for your responses. I didn't intend for this to became such a serious discussion, but one lighthearted in nature. Also I don't deal in absolutes whatsoever, I was speaking generally, and comparing linux operating systems, which also include their respective communities, to ones that are proprietary in nature, and that are well understood to be abusive of their users, via programming, for example, briefly.... I'm also happy to speak informally with people on the internet, and don't hold others accountable for their speech, or criticize them for it, except in humor, or good faith, in other words I try to respect people, and allow them to behave, and speak freely.

I will try again to bring up my original point, that has become warped into something offensive! First off, I would like to point out, that it is in fact 'offensive' how some organizations wield technology against people, and so the feeling is entirely appropriate given the subject matter, just not towards me.
    Problem: Ubuntu is way too much fun.

I don't know what to do with myself now guys. Cpu, gpu, motherboard, power supply, everything just works, and it works perfectly with Ubuntu.

I look around at my local community, and I wonder, why don't all of these people use Ubuntu? Clearly there is no other option to fulfill our computing needs other than Ubuntu. Contenders? Windows? Malware. Debian? Old. Fedora? Prohibitive. Arch? Shady.

Everything Windows does, Ubuntu does better. Oh, don't forget about mac, give me a break. No I don't want to have my personal information constantly exfiltrated from my computer and sold off to private third parties. Can we be serious for a moment? These organizations treatment of their users is openly ridiculous, to put it gently, and should be considered criminal, and probably would be if they empowered any of their users to speak freely.

Meanwhile, while all these other people are getting robbed by their evil operating system administrators I'm happily listening to music, browsing the internet, playing video games, and accomplishing just about every single task I can possibly imagine, and more than I'd like to admit: with Ubuntu.

That is a reflection of my experience, as a user of linux, not a developer, or an administrator, other than my own personal local system, and also technology broadly, similarly to other people. I wasn't inviting people to start arguing with me, or contradict me on every possible subject...I also wasn't talking about a different world, than the one we are all currently sharing right now.

Ubuntu is fun!

And if anyone feels the need to become argumentative about the fact, that is their inclination, and entirely separate from what I am talking about. I am referring in the original post, to people, whom I am wondering about, that mostly do not use linux, and have never even heard of it, being robbed by comparison, because they are trapped in the world of proprietary encrypted software, which hides it's activities from them, and uses programming, for secret purposes. And I am wondering, in the original post, why they don't use linux, since clearly, given the plain representation of the facts, there is no other alternative.
    Last edited by hyperlinxe; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:21 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 -- Ubuntu is fun.

I find that in introducing Linux to new users, or to previous Windows users... New users pick it up very quickly. They learn to go here to do that, and they are very, very happy. They love that most anything they want to do, they can, and it's free.

Previous Windows users, have a harder time, because they have to relearn where things are and what to use. That is just human behavior. "I used to go here and do this?" And that doesn't work that way.

I am fricking old. I started using PC's with DOS. Some things are basically the same through the UI of all OS'es. Why? Because (me), as a coder was taught, you should have these kinds of things in an intuitive UI. For example the menu items of: File, Edit, Help, with others, somewhat standardized, depending on what kind of application type it is grouped under. There are common things that are usually grouped under those headings. Learning a new application, those kinds of things are still the same.

On OS'es, I frequently install other OS'es to test them. Often that reminds me to appreciate Ubuntu.

The best thing I like about Linux (includes Ubuntu), is that you are free to change things to personalize it to "you". You can make it your own.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@hyperlinxe,

Actually there are two such Ubuntu Community Discussion sub-forums, this one and the adjacent Cafe, where forum participants gather to discuss issues, non-issues, and sometimes whimsicalities.
    It is analogous to neighbors sitting around a cracker barrel of the General Store in times gone by.

I always try to check in here at least once a day, or more.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Ya know what's actually interesting to me most of all... is that using linux IS FUN, and I personally know that, but to look at all the various forums for it, all I see is that they are filled with PROBLEMS, and problems that even have no solutions, and there is no discussion largely, in the *Linux Community* other than what surrounds people's problems, or problems at all. And so, just to browse around skimming through various forums, again, that make up the *Linux Community* anyone on earth would see endless lists of problems, and problems with no solutions, and bizarre complexity, that have nothing to do with community, or friendliness, or social interaction, so it's a negative environment in other words, despite the reality, we should all clearly be aware of!

My little poem in the original post attempted to touch upon broader issues such as these, and inspire people's own intellect. I guess these issues don't make you guys feel the same way.

Has anyone seen the Microsoft OS support forums? These types of organizations are a giant corporate face, a monolith, with a giant black hole behind it, where we can't even get close to talking about how the technology works, or how it might work alternatively, much less how it impacts our lives.

Linux is squarely the alternative, to that anti-human reality, but is reluctant apparently, to take on it's own natural responsibility.
    Last edited by hyperlinxe; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:48 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

People rarely come to Linux forums asking for support with things that are working splendidly. There are also a lot of questions asked by people who are new to Linux. These are both biases towards troubling issues, which might lead one to make a faulty generalization.

You have made a generalization without the benefit of knowing how many of us have no issues at all. What is the ratio of people who have problems to the total number of Linux users? You have no visibility of that.

By the way, there are Windows support venues aplenty. I used to provide Windows support on forums. I found that quite often those issues were best resolved using cmd. Just as with Linux.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Again, this all goes to my original point, that after all is said and done, there is no other alternative realistically compared to Ubuntu, which fulfills everyone's needs perfectly.
    Wow. Just wow.
    Ubuntu is far from perfect.
    Ubuntu definitely doesn't meet everyone's needs any more than Arch does.
    These differences exist because people and needs can be vastly different.

I get that you are excited. You've discovered something good, for you. To people who've been using UNIX since before Linux existed, then watched and used Linux over the decades, many statements seem highly ignorant. We are all ignorant in certain areas of our lives. 2 days ago, you said you were a Windows user who just moved to Ubuntu and said you didn't understand anything I wrote. Sorry, if that makes me less than willing to accept wide statements about OSes that get made. There is never any substitute for years of experience.

I come here to help people learn. It is fun for me too as the light bulb goes off when some idea is grasped they didn't know about previously.

Let me help you. Ubuntu is a flavor of Linux. It isn't anything all that special. There are lots of flavors based on the needs of millions of Linux users. Over 90% of the Linux systems are the same. The differences are slight, mostly in package management. Don't confuse any GUI with something different. It is just another program and not required at all.
    Linux is also very similar to all other Unix-like OSes. There must be 20 of those that are popular, but not using the Linux kernel. To an end user, their are lots of similarities, but to the admin, the ideas are similar, just the admin tools used are different. Some terms are different. In Unix, we say "slice". In Linux, we say "partition" as an example. Both have fdisk as a tool, though I haven't used fdisk in about 15 yrs on Linux.

Excitement is good and devouring knowledge is great. How to Learn Linux: https://blog.jdpfu.com/2017/03/31/le...inux-condensed If you really want to learn Linux, don't get stuck at the GUI.

And don't forget to learn many of the core UNIX things. Those all apply. For example, The UNIX Philosophy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_philosophy explains how Linux is designed for the most part. There are some exceptions, but for 40 yrs, there really weren't.

I'm out.

Beans

I guess, call me ignorant then, for constantly asking questions! And attempting to interact with other people! TheFu You are really on to something!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12